France 2022

France 2022
Old Town Nice, France

25 April 2013

Cinque Terre

I am so excited that this summer I will be visiting Cinque Terre.  It is a series of five villages on the Italian Coast.  According to the Lonley Planet, "Strung along 18km of serrated cliffs between Levanto and La Spezia, the Cinque Terre is one of Italy’s treasures. These five higgledy-piggledy villages – Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore – are cut off by mountains choked with olive groves and dry-stone-walled vineyards, where farmers have eked out a living over the centuries."
The villages are linked by walking paths and trains, although I understand that now there is a very windy and narrow road.  They are part of the Cinque Terre National Park, and the whole thing is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, because of the terracing that  the villagers have done over the hundreds of years to make a livelyhood.
I hear that the area is really cool, and I can't wait to visit it for myself, walk the paths (or maybe take the train) and take some nice photos to show here on my blog.
If you have been to Cinque Terre, what do you think -what is the best thing to do, how did you visit the towns?  Let us know!
Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment