France 2022

France 2022
Old Town Nice, France

28 April 2014

Renovating a Chateau

Bonjour tout le monde,
I love to watch HGTV and all the flipping shows that are on television.  I dream of what my kitchen will be; sometimes I recreate my dream house in, well, my dreams.If anyone has seen my Pinterest page, they will see that my perfect house will pretty much consist of just kitchens and bathrooms because that is all I seem to post.  Gotta work on that.
However, in France, an Australian family has bought an abandoned chateau in the south of France, near the village of Chateau Verdun.  The Class 1 Historic Monument-listed building was designed by Parisian architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel, famous for his neoclassical architectural symmetry including the Petit Trianon and the Place de la Concorde.  The couple who bought the chateau have begun restoring this chateau to its former glory.
I started following the restoration a couple of months ago.  Photos of each newly discovered room and architectural treasure are posted on the Chateau's Facebook and Instagram..    
In the process of fixing up the building, they have discovered an internal tower, plus a really cool chapel with stained glass windows.  You have to admire the way the building was planned.  Built before electricity and indoor plumbing, windows have been strategically placed to provide each room, even the below ground cellars, with lots of light.
Those working on the chateau have uncovered the most amazing details: the painted beams of a ceiling, little wooden scrolls on the walls, intricate patterns on the doors.
If you're interested in history, architecture, renovations, and just French stuff in general, you must follow the renovations to see how this Australian couple turn an abandoned chateau back into its former beauty.  
Be inspired - now that kitchen reno looks pretty good!
www.chateaugudanes.com
instagram.com/chateaugudanes








No comments:

Post a Comment